Did you know that one of the easiest ways to find a new career is to network? In fact, according to one study, networking is responsible for 85% of job placements. That only leaves 15% of people searching for jobs on employment boards or recruitment agencies. Networking is essential for managing your career in general, not just through transitions. Despite this, the majority of people are unable to effectively network. Here are some of the most common social networking mistakes that you should be aware of:
It’s Not All About You
Yes, social media is a platform that provides free marketing. Is that a reason to make its sole use self-promotion? Not if you want your venture into the digital realm to be successful. Users log on to their accounts to build relationships, both social and professional. The best way to gain (and keep) followers are to do the same. Make posts interactive by asking questions, and be sure to reply to any comments. For instance, Bankers Advocate’s goal in the use of social media is to be 90% education/information and only 10% commercial. We believe this minimizes “opt-outs.” If you’re not building personal connections, your digital presence will be ineffective.
Avoid Wearing Too Many Hats
Beware of wearing too many hats while developing your online persona. This an important social networking mistake that you should avoid. In order to build credibility, maintain a single focus – even if you are an expert in multiple topics. If you are a realtor, stick to Realty. This is the best way to prevent your brand from becoming diluted. Note: Bankers Advocate offers many services, so I understand the struggle to succinctly convey multiple levels of expertise. Creating a solution for a multifaceted business requires a critical look at your services and the needs of your online audience. This takes time. Until a plan is developed, keep your audience engaged and begin to establish online relationships.
Stay Away From Negative Posts
There is nothing like a news feed full of negative posts to drive a follower mad. Never, I repeat never, express your complaints and frustrations through social media. It is a sure-fire way to lose an audience. Demonstrating a positive and open attitude is attractive to everyone.
Don’t Let Your Caution Overshadow Your Personality
One of the most common social networking mistakes that people fall for is being unable to handle their nervousness. While it is important to watch your words, don’t let your caution block your personality. Again, users log on to social media accounts to build relationships. You can remain professional without being institutional. Without showing who you are, you cannot cultivate a relationship. If there’s no relationship, you have no trust. Without trust, you will have no audience.
Avoid Asking For Open Opportunities
While it might seem paradoxical, the aim of requesting a meeting should not be to inquire about open positions. If you mention it as an excuse, you would almost certainly be directed to their website or asked to submit your resume. You will lose out on important insights, the opportunity to meet new people, and the chance to communicate your positive energies and experience if you do not engage in conversation.